Monday, December 30, 2013

Kohinoor hunt

With the roaring success of The Taj Conspiracy, author Manreet Sodhi is coming up with another thriller, The Hunt For Kohinoor. Rakesh kumar in a chat with the author

The hunt for Kohinoor has begun. And this time Mehrunisa Khosa will have to find it at any cost within 96 hours to know the whereabouts her father. This operation takes her to the world's most dangerous terrain to retrieve the mysterious Kohinoor. She goes through icy Kashmir to the snow-clad Hindukush, from the sinister corridors of a military hospital to the warrens of Peshawar, even as the clock counts down to an impending catastrophe. Author Manreet Sodhi Someshwar talks about her new book, The Hunt for Kohinoor. After the first of the trilogy, The Taj Conspiracy got an overwhelming response the author has come up with the sequel. Published by Westland, the book is the first Indian thriller series to feature a kickass female protagonist. Excerpts:

How did The Hunt for Kohinoor start?
My second published book, A Long Walk Home, took too much time to pen down because it was based on the 20th century history of Punjab pre-Partition and post-Partition. Then I thought of trying my hand at a thriller as it takes less time to write. During that period, we were on visit to the Taj Mahal and there I realised that the guides knew nothing about the Taj besides the legendary love story. Since I am the person, who is very interested in history, I thought why not write a thriller related to the Taj. That was the genesis of the story.

How did the trilogy come into the picture?
While writing my first book, I never had in my mind starting a trilogy. But after completing The Taj Conspiracy, I was so engrossed in their characters and Mehrunisa that I thought giving more space. Moreover, the first part got overwhelming response from all corners, therefore, the idea of a trilogy came into my mind.  
 
The book is based on history. So what was the research you had to do for it?

I had to do lots of things for this book. I had to meet the intelligence officers, journalists and many others. I had to read a lot on this subject and interestingly, foreign writers were more helpful for my story. Though it is a thriller book it will teach you many facts about history also.

Be it The Long Walk Home or The Taj Conspiracy, most of your works are based on history. Any connection?
Yes, there is some connection. I grew up in a small village of Punjab near the border, listening to many (tales of) Partition. I have seen the Khalistan movement too. We used to watch Pakistan TV because signals more clear than Doordarshan. In a word, I would say I saw history unfold.

These days many authors write keeping movies in mind. Do you also come in that league?
I am open for films also. One thing I would like to share here, at Mumbai the book was released by Anubhav Sinha, who made films like Ra One. He loved the book and so we are expecting positive (move).  

You didn't have any connection of writing. How did writing come to you?
I studied engineering and management. I was connected with an MNC also. Then, I thought of taking a break from my hectic life. During that break I started writing from short stories to novels.

Will the readers have to read all the three parts to get the story.
No, not at all. These are all standalone books. The only (thing common) is its protagonist Mehrunisa Khosa and history in the background.
About Rakesh Kumar

Rakesh Kumar is a New Delhi based journalist at The Statesman, one of India's oldest and most respected newspapers. He writes in depth feature articles on issues of contemporary interest along with covering Travel, Lifestyle and Tech beats regularly. He can be contacted at urs.rakesh4@gmail.com

You Might Also Like